Due to the amount of community interest in the proposed redevelopment of County Square, below is a summary of the action taken by the Planning Commission at its October 17 meeting as well as the next steps in the City’s review process.
Z-10-2019: Application by County of Greenville for a PD Major Modification Rezone of approximately 40 acres located at University Ridge, Thruston Street, Howe Street, Church Street, President Street and Wakefield Street from PD, Planned Development District to PD, Planned Development District.
Planning Commission Results
Commissioner Smith moved to recommend approval of item Z-10-2019 to City Council with the following comments and conditions:
- All staff comments and conditions
- Building heights shall be limited as follows:
- Zone A is limited to 6 stories (no change)
- Zone B is limited to 8 stories, with two buildings up to 12 stories
- Zone C is limited to 8 stories, with two buildings up to 12 stories
- Zone D is limited to 8 stories (no change)
- Zone E is limited to 4 stories (no change)
- Zone F shall be limited to 6 stories
- In Section 13, all “should” and “may” phrases are to be changed to “shall.”
- Section 13(C)(1)(b) Uses Permitted by Right, is amended by deleting item ix, “Hospitals,” and adding it to Section 13(C)(2) Special Exceptions.
- Section 13(C)(3)(b) Dog daycare facility, is amended by deleting item iv, “Overnight stay of animals is allowed.”
- Section 13(F)(1) is amended as follows:
- “…The intent of this section is to promote creative solutions that
future all users may want to incorporate within the sub-district.”
- “…Pertinent to an attractive physical environment for the public is the design of the site, use of colors and materials, signage, building orientation, architectural style, and compatibility with the surrounding urban and Haynie-Sirrine
- Section 13(F)(2) bullet-point #6 is amended as follows: “…Variations in the design of each building in terms of color, architecture, and material are
encouraged required in order to create interest and reduce avoid a monotonous appearance.”
- Removal of the following images from Section 13(F)(3):
- The top-left image in Figure 3A on page 33
- The top-left image in Figure 3C on page 35
- The top-right image in Figure 3D on page 36
- The traffic and parking plan shall be reviewed within 5 years of issuance of the first building permit, regardless of whether the triggers within the plan have been reached.
- Final development plans shall be presented for review and approval by Planning Commission.
Second by Commissioner Gardner.
Motion carried by a vote of 5-2, with Commissioners Johnson and Keller voting “no.”
Now that the Planning Commission has made a formal recommendation on Greenville County’s application to modify the Haynie-Sirrine Planned Development and for the redevelopment of County Square, the request will proceed to City Council.
City Council will hold the first of two readings on the matter on Monday, November 25 at 5:30 p.m. on the 10th floor of City Hall. Citizens who wish to address City Council must sign up to speak before the meeting starts.
The second reading is scheduled for Monday, December 9 at 5:30 p.m. on the 10th floor of City Hall.
City Council will vote to approve or deny the application. If they vote to approve the application, they can determine the final conditions that the development must comply with.